Apple TV (4th Gen) HDCP Error
Issue: When attempting to play content, a black screen appears with the following error message:
"HDCP isn't supported by your HDMI connection. This content requires HDCP for playback."
Check HDMI Cable/Turn Off/On Apple TV and Receiver
- Unplug the HDMI cable then plug it back in firmly. Turn off the receiver and Apple TV. Next, unplug the Apple TV from its power source. Wait 30-60 seconds before plugging it back into the power source. Then turn on the Apple TV and the receiver.
- Make sure to select the HDMI input which matches the HDMI port connected to your Apple TV. The receiver or HDMI switch might be causing the problem so try connecting the Apple TV directly to your TV.
- The cable may also be the cause of the problem. Try out a different cable to see if it works. Lastly, go to Settings > Audio and Video and adjust the HDMI settings.
Restore Your Apple TV To Its Factory Settings
If the troubleshooting above hasn't fixed the problem, you can try restoring your Apple TV to the factory settings.
- Start by heading over to Settings > System > Reset.
- Next, you will need to select a Reset option
- 'Reset' allows you to reset your device quickly even without an internet connection.
- 'Reset and Update' will reset your Apple TV to its factory settings and install software updates using an internet connection.
- Choose the option that works best for you and proceed to reset your Apple TV.
Restore Apple TV Through iTunes
To restore your Apple TV you will need to have the latest version of iTunes installed. You will also need a USB-C cable for the 4th generation Apple TV and a stable internet connection.
- Unplug the HDMI cable and power cord from the Apple TV. Launch iTunes on your computer and plug a USB-C cable on the back of your Apple TV. Plug the other end of the USB-C into a USB port on your computer.
- Make sure to plug the power cord into the Apple TV. Go to the summary page in iTunes and click 'Restore Apple TV.' Once your Apple TV has been restored, you need to unplug the USB-C and power cord.
- Lastly, reconnect the HDMI cable and power cord to your Apple TV.
- Need more reference? Check out the Apple TV help section for restoring your Apple TV: Reset or restore your Apple TV to its factory settings
Still having troubles?
If none of the steps outlined above have solved the issue and you are still encountering the error on your Apple TV, you will need to contact Apple Support directly for assistance. https://support.apple.com/